Corporate and Business
At Goodwin & Mark LLP, we advise on any legal opportunity or problem that a business or individual might encounter. Our experienced business lawyers have acted for well-known national companies and franchisors, and we provide ongoing services to more than 600 new and seasoned entrepreneurs in the area of corporate law. Our business clients range from small to mid-size businesses and individuals across a wide variety of industries.
Comprehensive Legal Services for Businesses
Our law firm provides comprehensive advice and guidance to clients in a wide range of legal areas, including:
- Incorporations and Corporate Reorganizations
- Business contracts, including commercial contracts
- Creditors’ remedies/collection of debts
- Company restructuring
- Tax reorganization and amalgamation
- All corporate agreements, including shareholders’ agreements and buy/sell agreements
- Sales of businesses through asset or share sales
- Employment contracts
- Wrongful dismissal
Often, corporations hire us for ongoing business services in addition to single-issue case representation.
Our lawyers advise businesses regarding the benefits of private incorporation and guide our clients through the structuring of new incorporations, including the structuring of share capital and shareholdings among various shareholders. We are familiar with the complexities of incorporation and can facilitate the process from the initial formation stage to the creation of articles of incorporation, reorganization, amalgamation and any other transactions that may arise.
In addition to corporations, our legal team at Goodwin & Mark LLP advises clients in the formation and structuring of many additional business entities such as partnerships and limited liability partnerships (LLPs). Critical matters associated with business formation and reorganization handled by our experienced lawyers include:
- Structuring share capital and shareholdings
- Shareholder and Buy/Sell Agreements
- New asset protection
- Business operations issues
- Business contracts
- Business purchases and sales
- Commercial real estate transactions
- Trade-mark matters
When changes occur within a business organization, such as the addition of new shareholders, the merging of two or more companies (amalgamation) or the purchase or sale of a business, legal corporate reorganizations are necessary. Often, reorganization is driven by tax planning. In these situations, our lawyers work closely with our client’s accountant and financial professionals to restructure businesses for maximum tax benefits.
At Goodwin & Mark LLP, we act for franchisors and advise on the franchise structure for clients in BC and throughout Canada. We provide ongoing legal counsel to several national franchisors and possess substantial experience in the area of franchise law. We also advise franchisees regarding their rights and obligations of franchise agreements.
Our lawyers will work to ensure all franchising activities are in compliance with provincial and federal laws, including the following matters:
- Developing franchise agreements
- Creating franchise disclosure statements in relevant provinces
- Managing franchise leases and subleases
- Obtaining personal guarantees from franchisees
- Financing of franchises
- Trade-Marks (Canada and U.S.)